Volunteer for Formula SAE at MIS
Detroit Region SCCA and the Michigan Turn Marshall’s are still taking volunteers for the 2017 Formula SAE competition at Michigan International Speedway.
The competition begins on Wednesday, May 10, and runs through Saturday, May 13.
You can register to volunteer through MotorsportReg.com here http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-formula-sae-scca-volunteers-michigan-international-speedway-detroit-531166
You may volunteer for whatever day or days you like. You do not need to work the entire event if you volunteer.
The event schedule is as follows:
- Transport all equipment to MIS: cones, fire extinguishers, brooms and flags, oil dry, scales, etc.
- Review dynamic areas for safety and traffic flow.
- Assist with setting-up scales, braking & sound test, and fuel station.
- The practice course needs to be set in place.
- Volunteers are also needed for Tech Inspection, which opens at 10:00am.
- Eat (complimentary dinner in the MIS Champion’s Club), have spirits, and sleep.
- Students start the competition, attending tech inspection, fuel, scales, brake area, noise, tilt and possibly the practice course.
- ~ 9:00am, we begin setting up the Endurance, Autocross, SkidPad and Acceleration courses and test the timing equipment.
- Tech Inspection volunteers are also needed on Thursday, starting at 10:00am.
- Visit and shmooze with the teams in the paddock area.
- Eat, have spirits, and sleep.
- BUSY DAY!
- Worker safety briefings will be held on-track at 8:30am.
- Starting times: Practice Track-8:00am, Tech Inspection-9:00am, SkidPad-9:00am, Autocross-9:30am, Acceleration-10:00am.
- Lunch break from 12:30-1:30pm.
- Note that NEW this year, the Acceleration, SkidPad and Autocross events run ALL DAY and we need 6+ experienced Solo corner captains as well as an experienced Solo Starter, Timing & course Radio Control.
- F&C Flaggers are needed for on-track safety response for each of the events.
- All events will end at 5:00pm. Then we eat, have spirits, and sleep.
- Endurance begins 9:00am and runs until approximately 5:00pm and we are looking for all Flagging & Communications (F&C) volunteers to staff the track corner stations and assist with scribing.
- Solo personnel will assist with track set-up and also with tow cart duties.
- After the event, a tear-down crew needs to pack up all equipment.
- Join us for comradery at the post-event dinner at a local restaurant.
– Continental Breakfast, Lunch, and afternoon Refreshments will be provided each day.
– Free event Program and Shirt (note that our deadline to submit shirt counts is March 24th).
– Free on-site camping is available.
– Detroit Region members will receive 3 worker points per day and a complimentary gas card.
– Detroit Region members are invited to the free Thursday, Friday & Saturday evening dinners.
We hope to see you there on one or more of these days!